Starting your child’s day the right way can make a big difference.
Dairy is a vitally important food group for all children, with Australian Dietary Guidelines recommending one and a half serves per day of milk, yoghurt, cheese or alternative for children up to 8 years old and 2.5-3.5 serves a day for older children and adolescents. But, as many parents know, it can be challenging to get our children to eat anything at all at times, let alone anything remotely nutritious and healthy. Therefore, we need to pack as much nutrition as possible into the things our children do eat; and making the most of milk is a great way to do this, with milk naturally containing 8 essential nutrients including:
• Protein – contributes to muscle growth, development and repair
• Calcium and phosphorus – for maintaining strong bones and teeth
• Iodine – contributes to healthy cognitive function
• Vitamin B5 – contributes to healthy mental performance
• Potassium – contributes to normal muscle function and to help with hydration
• Vitamin B2 and B12 – to reduce tiredness and fatigue
And now Dairy Farmers A2 Goodness + Prebiotic Milk comes with added prebiotics to maintain your child’s every day gut health, by increasing the good bugs in your gut, as part of a balanced diet. Try these simple ideas to start your child’s day (and yours because who doesn’t want to start their day stress free!) in the right direction.
We love egg muffins because you can make up a batch in advance, freeze and just whip them out of the freezer as needed. This recipe uses ham, cheese and capsicum but you can add in whatever you want according to your child’s tastes.
- 12 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup of Dairy Farmers A2 Goodness + Prebiotic milk
- Chopped ham
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped capsicum
Whisk together the eggs with milk, salt and pepper.
Add in your ham, cheese or other ingredients of choice. Then divide mixture into greased muffin tin or lined with silicon liners.
Cook in 190c oven for around 20-25 minutes.
Kids Bircher Muesli
Make this one up the night before and you’re ready to go in the morning. Bircher Muesli is a simple and easy breakfast packed with nutrient-rich milk, oats, seeds and fruit.
- 1 1/2 cups of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of plain yoghurt
- 1 cups of Dairy Farmers A2 Goodness & Prebiotic milk
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 grated apple
- 1 tablespoon of mixed seeds or slivers of toasted almonds • Strawberries or raspberries to garnish (or both!)
Mix together the oats, yoghurt milk and honey in a bowl, cover and place in the fridge for at least an hour but preferably overnight. The next morning serve with
the grated apple and nut or seeds on top garnished with the strawberries and/or raspberries. So simple and good!
The Ultimate Banana Shake
If time is tight, put this one into a travel cup and you can have breakfast on the go.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup of Dairy Farmers A2 Goodness + Prebiotic milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Honey to sweeten to taste
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Crushed ice
Place everything apart from the cinnamon into a blender (put the banana in first) and blend until smooth. Pour into your chosen cup and sprinkle cinnamon on top. You’re already to go, go, go!
Proudly brought to you by Source Kids and Dairy Farmers A2 Goodness + prebiotic milk – a super easy way to get prebiotics into your kids’ diet is through the milk they drink. With milk containing only the A2 protein plus added prebiotics, Dairy Farmers A2 Goodness is goodness from free roaming, pasture raised cows.
Dairy Farmers. Here’s to good.