Transport enables individuals and families to participate in community life and it’s especially important that all children, including those with disability and medical conditions travel in the safest way possible.
We know from experience, however, that the ability to do this isn’t always the case for our children.
But change could be on the horizon.
MACA (Mobility and Accessibility for Children in Australia Inc) is a new Australian not-for-profit organisation dedicated to supporting and advocating for the right to safe and accessible transport for children with disability and medical conditions. Their vision is for every Australian child to have access to safe and equitable transport, regardless of circumstance.
Funded by the National Disability Insurance Agency to develop a national information resource supporting the rights of all children to safe and accessible transport and participation in community life, the organisation will:
- develop a ‘one stop shop’ website to launch early 2021)
- work with health professionals to support best practice approaches
- work with transport regulators and disability organisations to support inclusive strategies, policies and practices
- provide an expert advisory service (scheduled for late 2021)
- progress the evidence-base by working with leading research organisations, including Curtin University and Monash University
- raise awareness of the needs of children with disability for safe transport.
To kick off the project MACA is inviting all parents of children with disability and medical conditions, as well as allied health professionals and other organisations to participate in a short survey developed in collaboration with Curtin University.
By taking this survey, you can help MACA ensure that its website and other information resources and activities meet your needs. MACA will use the findings to inform, evaluate and improve their information resources and programs.
To participate and share your views and experiences simply click here to take the short survey. You will also find more information about the project and how the information you provide will be used. More info also available here https://www.linkedin.com/company/macainc or you can send an email to [email protected].